- Related Topics
- Related Documents
- Engineering ToolBox — SketchUp Extension — Online 3D modeling!
- Advertise in the ToolBox
Currents, voltages and resistances in electric circuits may often be very small or very large — so multiples and submultiples are often used.
The voltage required applied to a 3.3 kΩ resistor to generate a current of 20 mA can be calculated as
Electric Resistance Nomogram
The default values in the nomogram above indicates 230 volts, resistance 24 ohm and current 10 amps.
Electric power can be expressed as
= U 2 / R (4)
P = electrical power (watts, W)
Example — Power Consumed
The power consumed in the 12V electrical circuit above can be calculated as
P = (12 volts) 2 / (18 ohm)
Example — Power and Electrical Resistance
A 100 W electric light bulb is connected to a 230 V supply. The current flowing can be calculated by reorganizing (4) to
The resistance can be calculated by reorganizing (4) to
Electric Power Nomogram
This nomogram can be used to estimate power vs. voltage and ampere.
The default values in the nomogram above indicates 240 volts, resistance 10 amps and power 2.4 kW for DC or single phase AC — and 4 kW for three phase AC.
- Electrical — Electrical units, amps and electrical wiring, wire gauge and AWG, electrical formulas and motors
- Aluminum Conductor Characteristics — Characteristics of all-aluminum conductor (AAC)
- Copper Wire — Electrical Resistance — Gauge, weight, circular mils and electrical resistance
- Electric Circuit Diagram — Template — Use Google Drive to make online shareable electric circuit diagrams
- Electrical Formulas — The most common used electrical formulas — Ohms Law and combinations
- Electrical Units — Definition of common electrical units — like Ampere, Volt, Ohm, Siemens
- EV — Electric Vehicles — Range vs. State of Charge Calculator — Battery size, SOC — state of charge, energy consumption and electric vehicle range
- Nickel-Chromium Wire — Electrical Resistance vs. Temperature Rise — Electric resistance and temperature rise
- Resistance and Conductance — The reciprocal of electrical resistance is conductance
- Resistivity and Conductivity — Temperature Coefficients for Common Materials — Resistivity, conductivity and temperature coefficients for some common materials as silver, gold, platinum, iron and more
- Resistors — Color Codes Calculator — Color codes for fixed resistors — values and tolerances — online calculator
- Resistors — Standard Values — Preferred number series for resistors
- Voltage Drop in Electric Circuits — Ohm’s law and voltage drop in an electric circuit
Engineering ToolBox — SketchUp Extension — Online 3D modeling!
Add standard and customized parametric components — like flange beams, lumbers, piping, stairs and more — to your Sketchup model with the Engineering ToolBox — SketchUp Extension — enabled for use with the amazing, fun and free SketchUp Make and SketchUp Pro .Add the Engineering ToolBox extension to your SketchUp from the SketchUp Pro Sketchup Extension Warehouse!
We don’t collect information from our users. Only emails and answers are saved in our archive. Cookies are only used in the browser to improve user experience.
Some of our calculators and applications let you save application data to your local computer. These applications will — due to browser restrictions — send data between your browser and our server. We don’t save this data.
Advertise in the ToolBox
If you want to promote your products or services in the Engineering ToolBox — please use Google Adwords. You can target the Engineering ToolBox by using AdWords Managed Placements.